Friday, August 22, 2008

ACTRESS/DIRECTOR KARYN PARSONS ON BEING BIRACIAL IN AMERICA & HAVING A CHILD WITH BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES.


Last April, I made a post about the beautiful Karyn Parsons a.k.a. Hilary Banks (Fresh Prince of Bel Air) and her two adorable children, 6-year old Lana and 11-month old Nico in my 'Celebrity Mommies on a Mission' blog post and some of were shocked at the fact that Karyn's children looked so much unlike her. Well, the actress, who played the role of spoiled valley girl with a penchant for everything designer for seven seasons, and is now married with children recently sat down and talked to ESSENCE.COM to discussed her role as wife of 5 years to Russian film maker Alexander Rockwell, embracing her biracial identity and how she reacted to her daughter being born with blonde hair and blue eyes.

KARYN PARSONS ON HER BIGGEST CHALLENGE AS BEING BIRACIAL IN AMERICA: "Well, it's hard. When I saw Barack's speech on race, I cried and I felt like, there's the speech I've been wanting to write. I've been thinking about writing about race for a long time. It's very interesting how we feel about each other in terms of race. When I'm around Black or White people, I'm always in the middle. Especially when I am around Black people; they will really tell how they feel about White people regardless of the fact that I'm also White and have White relatives. It's very interesting and can be really hard."

KARYN ON BEING MARRIED TO A WHITE MAN AND HOW RACE IS SOMETHING THEY STILL HAVE TO FACE:" And I'm married to a White man, and then my daughter came out looking like the whitest White child with blonde hair and blue eyes. And I'm like, Omigosh, now what am I going to do? She has my mom's features and is lighter than my husband. And my boy is browner than I am. Brown eyes and really tan. The race thing is something we continue to deal with and just have to learn to love ourselves and others."

TO READ MORE OF KARYN'S INTERVIEW, CHECK OUT ESSENCE.COM.
.....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Anonymous said...

what in the world is going on? that little girl look about as different as night and day compared to her parents. I can see karyn's mama's features on the lana. that's clearly evident. but that blonde hair is blowing me away. Karyn husband doesn't even have blond hair.

SHILOHDREAM said...

And although Karens husband doesn't have blond hair her husbands genetics do. Some people need to take a biology or DNA course(which Im sure they flunked.) For all anyone knows KP's father couldve been blond, it's in her genes...get a science book!
U go Karen! Love ya!

Unknown said...

THE REASON WHY HER DAUGHTER HAVE BLONDE HAIR IS BECAUSE HER MOTHER OR HER FATHER WHO'S WHITE HAS BLONDE HAIR AND BLUE EYES. SO DOES ONE OF HIS PARENTS WHO HAS BLONDE AND BLUE EYES. THEIR CHILDREN GOT IT FROM THEIR GRANDPANENTS LIKE HELLO! LOL. SHE IS HALF BLACK AND WHITE. LIKE IT'S NOT A SURPRISE TO ME AT ALL. I HAVE BIRACIAL COUSIN'S MARRIED TO A WHITE MAN/WOMEN, AND THEIR CHILDREN HAVE THAT PROBLEM.

Anonymous said...

"SHE HAS A CHILD WITH A WHITE MAN WHICH MAKES IT WORSE"..."THEIR CHILDREN HAVE THAT PROBLEM"...WTF NakitaID ? First I have to say we are all beautiful ... Second , those statements are part of the root problem biracial or people of mixed descent go through in this world. There`s enough BS without adding to it with the "they ain`t black enough" or "they look too white"...I see you aren`t racist but , dam , those statements don`t help anyone involved , black or white. Listen to what SHILODREAM said ....that was more positive. I am german and have biracial kids . My son is as dark as his momma and my daughter is more 'mixed' looking ....I love them both equally , no matter if people say they`re too dark or too light...which has only come from the "BLACK" side of the family. Too much time has been spent on equality for ALL people EVERYWHERE to be concerned about lightness and or darkness...Let`s deal with real problems that are killing people daily in this world...I`m sorry if I seemed to come down on you , don`t take it like that . I was just making a universal statement to all people and colors ...A couple of the phrases you used just made me want to say what I said...Oh yeah I had hell groing up in Teaxas in all black scholl , neighborhood , family ....only thing is ...most of the hell came from the few white people around that were too caught up in the color BS , I was blessed to have been around mostly real loving and honest 'non whites'...lol....ONE LOVE..KING KAI

Anonymous said...

All of you are wrong! This kid has a genetic disorder. It is obvious that this child is ALBINO! This child's skin, hair and eye color are rare for even a caucasion person. This kid has no pigmentation.

Anonymous said...

Albino?!? You serious? Albino last I checked was like snow white with almost white hair and red/pink eyes. That child has color and is very beautiful! This child has no problem once so ever.People who have to comment about how a child is not a certain color are the ones with problems. WHo cares about the color or ones skin.

Anonymous said...

Lots of white people are born with blond hair and blue eyes. I was. It gradually changes as you get older. I now have medium brown hair and green eyes. This is normal. This child will most likely have brown hair and maybe green or hazel colored eyes.

Anonymous said...

I agree, wasn't Michael Jackson oldest 'son' born with blonde hair and blue eyes???? Look at him now. However, it does appear that that child may have a Albino gene not too far from the surface!

Anonymous said...

Michael Jackson kids are adopted, they are NOT mix at all. R.I.P MJ

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro