Friday, March 21, 2008

THROWBACK PICS: MAIA CAMPBELL IN KING MAG; ACTRESS DISHED ON SUGE, SHAQ & JAY-Z.

**BUMPING UP AN OLDIE, BUT GOODIE. BLOG ENTRY ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON NOVEMBER 6, 2007 (CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS)**

This girl! Bless her heart. I've always been a fan of her and her mother. But for her to be such a beautiful girl, the craziness she once embraced wasn't a good look at all. I just want her to get better....to get the help her mother so desperately wanted for her before she passed away. Here I was thinking her mental illness had gotten worse within the past couple of years, but low and behold I find this excerpt from her 2002 King magazine interview which proves, at least to me, she'd been a bit off for a while now.

However, that was then, these days, from my understanding, Maia has pulled herself together since the death of her mother, best-selling author Bebe Moore Campbell. Moore Campbell died at the age of 56 on November 27, 2006 from complications related to brain cancer...just one day after Maia's 30th birthday. It's no secret that Maia, who scored the biggest role of her career as 'Tiffany Warren' on UPN's In the House, privately battled drug abuse. Soon as the hit sitcom was canceled, rumors of Maia's drug abuse and erratic behavior around Hollywood began to swarm around the Internet and beyond. In the July 2004 issue of Sister 2 Sister magazine, Maia candidly admitted to abusing drugs while vehemently denying rumors that she's a certified nut job. 'I am not a psycho. There's a rumor going around that I'm a psycho,' Maia told the magazine. The actress's rapid decline into drugs and whispers of the beauty being bi-polar is what some believed was the catalyst that strained her relationship with her mother. And some speculate Bebe's last novel, 72 Hour Hold, was loosely based on her relationship with her daughter.....

CLICK ON THE PIC BELOW to read what Maia had to say about Jay-Z, Shaq and Suge Knight. And don't forget to CHECK OUT THROWBACK PICS OF MAIA'S PHOTOSHOOT IN KING MAGAZINE BY CLICKING 'READ MORE AFTER THE JUMP!' ON THE BOTTOM LEFT.


...Whatever the case may be, Maia says she was able to make peace with her mother before she passed away.And I know from from personal experience (I lost my father to bone cancer in 2005) that a moment like that is a truly welcoming comfort as well as one of the most precious privileges God can ever bestow upon you. Some say Maia has gotten herself together and has become stronger since her mother's untimely death. Maia says she now finds happiness from the love she feels for her family, true friends, her profound belief in God and everything else that makes life worth living, bless her heart. It's true what they say: Loosing a loved one can have one of two effects on a person. Either you'll fall by the wayside something terrible OR you'll get your dusty ass up, brush yourself off and get back on the right track in order to move on with your life.

These days Maia is busy taking care of her young daughter, Elizabeth Elisha Gutierrez (who is named after Maia's mother) and operating her production company, MCC which is a multi-tasked business that provides today's film and television culture with quality entertainment.

It makes me feel good to be able to write such a positive story on her because Lord knows there aren't too many out there. I just hope in the future I can continue to post more inspiring stories involving her.

Let's continue to hope and pray for the best for her.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an old classmate of Maia from elementary school. I am glad to see positive things about her online. I just recently lost my mother to cancer, and I am having a very hard time dealing with it. It is nice to see that she is doing well

jmwebb1963 said...

I think we should be more supportive of our black actresses and actors. She lost her moms and then probably went through a depressive stage and all we can do is say damn. We need to help her with her problem and be supportive and not be negative. Come on people, support our people.

Unknown said...

jmwebb- I agree with you totally. Whenever you hear of Maia Campbell all the comments are always deridatory...calling her a "psycho...nut-case...crack-head". Since when was mental illness a big joke? She's a beautiful woman and could have had a promising career.If she was some famous white hollywood actress she would be getting all the support she needs from her peers and community. Yet,mental illness in the 20th century in the black community is still taboo. Either we're too immature/shallow or in denial(?) to care or take action. Wake up people!!

Anonymous said...

My mother and Maia mother were friends in the writing and academic world. And while people assume that her mother having money and her being from a middle class family should equal fame, fortune and then sudden happiness, it is a stupid assumption. People struggle with demons you have no clue about. We all have issues and we all deal with them differently, but I just think that people should be very careful how they judge. It is sad, shocking and scary! She is stuck in a cycle and I pray that someone steps up and takes hold as much as they can, too help her. Mental ilness is soooo real and in the black community we don't like to acknowledge it. We say pray and get better, but if she is in fact bipolar as it has been stated in the past. Then it explains not excuses, but explains some of the issues she has. Picking her up and dragging her around LA is not going to help her. And how about this beauty thing? If I hear one more person say but she is so beautiful! Come on y'all! That means nothing it doesn't negate you from the pain of your past.

Anonymous said...

I saw something on a gossip site today about this lady. I did not recognize her, but after searching the web I realized who she is. I also all kinds of nude pics and videos of her in compromising positions and I felt instantly saddened because she seemed and looked high. Someone is taking advantage of her in her weakness and if she is a mother too it makes it even sadder. I did not know her mother was Bebe Campbell. God bless her. She seems very troubled. She needs help not ridicule.

Jet setter said...

its true her mental illness is being exploited. Shes sick, and she cant help it. Why are people doing these things?? Is it supposed to be funny?I dont get off on others misery.

Anonymous said...

where can i see the video of her???

Anonymous said...

Recently, I met and personally spoke with this young woman in LA when my daughter wanted to stop at our old baber shop to say hi- it was only God...because I was running late and didn't want to stop! The moment I laid eyes on her I knew who she was though she already had my heart when I saw the condition that she was in. I praise God for those of you who have a genuine concern for her and would reach to her if you could... because she wants help. She spoke very honestly about her mental status, drugs use, her daughter, her where abouts and God... she does want to be found. By no means is she crazy or a psycho... she is clear about life and what is going on around her, as well she knows the difference between those who continuously abuse and use her and those who are reaching out. God is awesome in all that He does... I had no intentions on putting her name in the search field while on the computer, I am taking care of business, yet this blog pops up and I am here. So the message is this: for those of us that TRULY wish this Young Black Woman well, we must COLLECTIVELY pray and BE IN agreement that she will receive what God has for her and come out of where she is. The Spirit WILL MOVE and I promise you--in DUE TIME... the woman that God has called her to BE will EMERGE!

God Bless... Love & Peace, Ms. Rae!

It is what it is in the '09 said...

I said this in the other post and I'll say it here.

I share the same sentiments as candylicker! Aint nothing wrong with Maia. She just doing this shit for attention and i bet she's sitting somewhere reading what errybody is saying about her and it's blowing her ego up. She know just what she doing. That girl aint sick. SHE IS SLICK. and she got yall right where she want yall: talking about her and making her a internet legend.


CRAZY ASS BITCH IS WHAT SHE IS!

FAMUDiva said...

Boy the ignorant things people say is unreal!

Anyway, those photos are beautiful. I believe she really could have become one of the most sought after actresses had she continued to take her medication and devoted herself to the craft that she once excelled in: acting. It should have been Maia in leading roles that Sanaa, Gabrielle, Nia, Essence and Regina Hall were starring in.

She had so much potential. SGurl looking at one of your ads reminded me when Mai had an endorsement deal with Pantene. I remember seeing her ad in magazines.

Anonymous said...

For All who is judging her remember that could b ur: Sisters, ur mother, ur aunt, ur friend or you. Don't think it can't happy to you too. I pray that God touch her could and I pray that she allow him. Because I suffer with depression and it is very easy for the devil to send someone to help you to do crazy. For all the people who judge her or make fun of. Make sure ur life is always on the straight path because God always bless the ones who are at their lowest. Just remember that. GOD BLESS you MAIA CAMPBELL AND ANYONE WHO IS SICK OR ON DRUGS NOT JUST MAIA. I WILL PRAY FOR THEM ALL. MAYBE EVERYONE SHOULD TRY THAT INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME JUDGING OR MAKING FUN OF OTHER.

KEYSHA said...

I AM PRAYING FOR MS. CAMPBELL. THE NEGATIVITY THAT THIS YOUNG LADY RECEIVE IS HORRIBLE!!! REMEMBER SHE IS SOMEONE'S DAUGHTER AND MOTHER. I PRAY FOR HER DAUGHTER ALSO BECAUSE SHE IS ALSO INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS WITH MS. CAMPBELL. YES I CALL HER MS. CAMPBELL BECAUSE SHE STILL HAS MY RESPECT AND I AM STILL HER FAN. YES IM A LOYAL SOUL AND SHE IS GOD CHILD AND MY SISTER!!!! PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU R DOING FOR 60 SECONDS AND SEND A PRAYER TO OUR MAKER FOR HE KNOWS AND SEES ALL. THIS WILL BE HER TESTIMONY TO SAVE ANOTHER SOUL!!

Unknown said...

I use to date Maia back in high school; she always was a very sweet and beautiful girl. She did have some issues even then so I hope she get the help she needs. Unfortunately she is probably very broke now and needs some support from her actor friends.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro