Sunday, December 16, 2007

SISTER SOULJAH CONFIRMS SEQUEL TO 'THE COLDEST WINTER EVER'; TO BE RELEASED IN 2008.

Finally! Nearly 10 years after urban-fictional novel The Coldest Winter Ever hit bookshelves and took the literary world by storm, its community-activist-turned-best-selling author, Sister Souljah confirmed to her fans via her official website, SISTERSOULJAH.COM, that the highly-anticipated sequel will be released sometime in 2008! The following announcement was posted on her webpage:

After years of writing, thinking, traveling and creating, Sister Souljah's The Coldest Winter Ever sequel will be available in 2008. Sister Souljah says, "The sequel I have written will be quite a surprise I think. My readers will have to get their intellectual weight up! I have worked extremely hard to bring this one to the public. I love it. I was completely dedicated to making sure I didn't cheat my millions of readers from hoods, burbs and villages around the world. I am giving you something you can feel, remember, and use in your own lives. All credit goes to God for gracing me with the talent and insight. I truly believe God is the greatest author of all times."

Now, that's what I'm talking about! And I, for one, can't wait! I don't meant to toot my own horn and whatnot, but I will have you all to know that yours truly was able to cop a first-row seat along with a photo with Sister Souljah AND a personalized, autograph in my copy of The Coldest Winter Ever when she and Tom Joyner's wife, Donna Richardson-Joyner) were featured panelists on the Tampax Total You tour when it made a stop at Florida A&M University's Perry Paige Auditorium several years ago. Now all I have to do is track down a friend of mine who I haven't seen in about 5 years and pray to God she still has my damn book that she was supposed to return to me and....you know what? That's water under the bridge. For now. What's important is the fact that we readers are almost thisclose to finding out what Winter Santiago and her baby sister have been up to for the past 10 years.

Did I say I can't wait?! Urban novelists such as Nikki Turner, Vickie Stringer, Teri Woods, Wahida Clark, T.N. Baker, Deja King, Chunichi, Kiki Swinson wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Sister Souljah's best-selling novel. And that's real talk too. And I know some folks may be wondering whatever happened to the movie adaptation of the book that had Jada Pinkett Smith was reportedly involved in. Well, it ain't gonna happen. And thank God for that. Besides, I'd rather read a sequel written solely by Sister Souljah than watch some watered down, chewed up and spit out version of it on film a la Terry McMillan's How Stella Got Her Groove Back. I don't care what anyone says, the book was 5 times better than the movie. No disrespect to Angela Bassett and Taye Diggs. But I'm just saying.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah!!!!!! I'm soooooo happy the sequel is finally coming out. The Coldest Winter Ever is one of my favorite books. Whenever someone wants to know what's a good read that's the first book that comes out my mouth. My friend and I have been looking for the sequel for about a year now. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm just mad that it's not going to be a movie. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

iiM SO EXCITED 4 THE SEQUEL..iVE READ THE BOOK 3 TIMEZ..N ENJOYED IT EACH TIME! SISTER SOULJAH DID HER THING..I FELT LIKE I REALLY KNEW WINTER! I FIRST READ THE BOOK AT 12..ITS BEEN 3 YEARS & I REALLY CANT WAIT 2 C WAT SOULJAH DID THIS TIME!
( I HOPE WE STILL HEAR FROM MIDNIGHT IN IT)

Anonymous said...

Goodness I must be under a rock bc Im just now hearing about this! U posted back in Dec but Im just hearing 6 mo later in June!

Im so excited & I cant wait!

Maybe this will make TCWE popular again so Jada will make the movie.

Anonymous said...

omg!!! THE BOOK STORES DOWN HERE ARE SO SLOW!! ANYWAY I LOV YOU!!

Anonymous said...

The Coldest Winter Ever is one of my favorite books. I'm so excited. I remember reading this book years ago.I knew I had to go to work the next day. I decided to take the book to work and finish reading on my lunch break. Needless to say, I couldn't wait for lunch. I stayed in the women's restroom until I finished the book. I can't wait to read the sequel. I hope this isn't a joke?

Anonymous said...

wow this book is great and i cant wait for the sequel i just started reading this book today and i cant put it down. i am 100 pages away from finishing it and so far it is great

Anonymous said...

The long awaited sequel to "The Coldest Winter Ever" has truly arrived. This past Friday evening on my way to the subway station in DC I walked past a book stand. I was immediately drawn to Sista Souldjah's name. The sequel is title "Midnight". Just as I suspected it is a page turner. I remember when I was first introduced to "The Coldest Winter Ever" through a friend of mine who actually is a guy and told me it was a must read. Needless to say I was very sleep deprived and very tired the next morning after realizing I had lost all of my hours of sleep. I could not put this book down and I read it completely cover to cover in one night. "Midnight" is the same way. Oh my goodness. You guys if you have not already gone out to get this book do so soon. Sista Souljah gets all the love in the world from me. Her stories are very involving and you really feel a part of it all. Happy reading to all.

L~

Anonymous said...

I am Sooooo.....excited about the sequel! When it finally get released I'm going to have my glued to the television. I loved that book so much, I read it a few more times afterwards....YaY!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm EXCITED! The sequel is finally coming....I'm so ready for the release....The book was so so good! I can't wait....

Anonymous said...

i cant wait for that book to come out i wonder whats going to happen and what happens to her sisters when they go stay with midnight are they goin to be ruthless like winter......winter man thats my gurl she is the bomb i cant wait!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone, I just want to say that I have read the so called sequel to 'The Coldest Winter Ever" and I have to say that it is indeed a good story but it is not the sequel to that book unless there is going to be a part two to that one also. This book only told us about this "little boy" named midnight and how he grew up. Nothing like what we expected. I feel as though it was told to be the sequel to "The Coldest Winter Ever" so that the book would sale really good and I dont think that it is fair to the fans and readers. The title and promotion of this book lead us to believe that it had at least a little to do with what we remember in the first book but it indeed had nothing to do with that book other that a boy named Midnight. I also think it was unfair to put a picture of this "Midnight" character on the front because nine times out of ten it was not the person that everyone imagined and it left little to the imagination for the readers....most of the readers were probably either teenagers or grown and that picture really resembled a little boy way out of character. I really think Sister Souljah is a great writer and this was a great story indeed but I just dont feel like she gave the fans what they expected.

Anonymous said...

I read the both "The Coldest Winter Ever" and "Midnight" and I feel it may have been slightly misleading as well, only because it may be considered as a "prequel" more than a sequel. "Midnight" is about two books from being finished, but if you caught the hints of how "The Coldest Winter Ever" and "Midnight" related, then you would understand why it is called a sequel. The porsche seen outside of the ball game had the initials "RS" engraved in the seats, hinting towards its owner, Ricky Santiago (Winter's father). If you read "The Coldest Winter Ever" then we all know that Midnight was Ricky Santiago's right hand man. "Midnight" went on to describe what he thought owner of the porsche to be, comparing him to himself. I do not believe these clues were thrown in for nothing. I just believe Sister Souljah has a lot of respect for the character "Midnight" and could not tell his story in one book. After she releases the entire series, I am sure we will all agree that "Midnight" is in fact a sequel (or a prequel) to "The Coldest Winter Ever." But as for the book itself... It was a great read. I think it will turn out to be her greatest work yet... Even better than "The Coldest Winter Ever." Sister Souljah is truely talented.

Karla K said...

Check out my Coldest Winter Ever Movie blog, with my review of books, updates, pictures, and cast suggestions! http://hubpages.com/hub/Coldest-Winter-Ever-Movie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro