Friday, September 21, 2007

26-YEAR-OLD TAMPA WOMAN SENTENCED TO JAIL TIME FOR FORCING DAUGHTER TO TAKE UP FOR HERSELF.


Oh, wow. I'm getting mixed vibes from this story: A Tampa, Florida mother was sentenced to a year behind bars for encouraging her child to stick up for herself against a bully. Can you really blame a mother for wanting her child to defend herself? My mama and daddy were quick to tell me, 'You let so and so beat your ass, when you get home, you're gonna beat again.' So, I don't whether to be upset over the fact that this woman has been sentenced to jail for advising her child to do what many parents have been telling their kids to do since the beginning of time OR the fact that her silly ass sat on the witness stand chewing gum and blowing/popping bubbles. I would've found her in contempt of court for that alone!

TAMPA -- It's a year in jail for a mother found guilty of instigating a fight between her daughter and another girl on a school bus. Shayla Muldrow, chewing gum and dressed in a blazer on the witness stand, recalled the March morning she boarded her daughters' school bus. She wasn't planning trouble, she said. She just wanted to put an end to the bullying her 9-year-old daughter had been experiencing on bus rides to and from Booker T. Washington Elementary School. "I wanted to talk it out," Muldrow said Tuesday. "You don't have to solve your problems by fighting." A good idea, in theory. But anyone who has seen the March 2 videotape from Bus No. 3866 knows that's not how things worked out.

Muldrow, 26, helped her daughter shed her backpack -- "I'm not going to let her fight with her book bag on," she testified -- and instructed her to "handle it" with the 10-year-old girl who had slapped her daughter two days before. "They go a-tumblin,'" said Muldrow, who blew a bubble on the stand. "I stepped out of the way and just watched." She watched again Tuesday afternoon as six jurors filed into the courtroom after 90 minutes of deliberation and declared her guilty of misdemeanor charges of trespassing and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Her attorneys argued Tuesday that the case of the bus confrontation was a "rush to judgment." They depicted their client as a concerned parent who had tired of her daughter getting pushed around after two months on the bus. Even the substitute driver for the route testified that he had complained to his superiors on multiple occasions about the rowdiness of its riders.

When she gets out of jail, Muldrow must serve six months probation, go to anger-management class, perform 50 hours of community service and write a letter of apology to the bus driver. She has been there before, having accumulated 15 arrests before the March 2 bus incident, which was broadcast across the country. She also spent a day in jail Sept. 5 after being arrested on new charges of driving with a suspended or revoked license and for attaching improper tags to her vehicle.

CONTINUE READING

5 comments:

Kim said...

THEY IS CRAZY, I WONDER IF SHE HAS A RECORD. OR MAYBE CUZ HER TAN IS DARKER THEN OTHERS...

I SAY THE SAME FOR MY CHILD ESPECIALLY IF HE GOT HIT AND THE OTHER CHILD WASN'T PUNISHED BUT I'M GUESSING CUZ THE MOM WAS THERE SHE LOOKING LIKE SHE ENCOURAGES THE FIGHT. THAT'S COME B.S.

Anonymous said...

As a parent, I can totally see where the mother was coming from. i am from the old school of , "hit em' back". How much does a child have to take before someone helps. If this child was being bullied, slapped, etc, then she got what she had coming. i am sure many people would say the mother should have sought out the other parent but we all know that most parents don't care unless their child is getting the bad end of the fight.

Anonymous said...

My mom always said "If you are old enough to give a lick you are old enough to take a lick!" I personally dont see anything wrong with what the mother did.

Anonymous said...

this must be some cultural misundertanding on the part of the jusy. (how many of them were black?) When I was coming up, my mom told me if I got hit, to pick up the nearest, heaviest thing and knock the hell out of whoever hit me. The alternative for not fighting back? My Mom would get at me when I got home. The only fight I've ever been in, I banged some girl's head on the sink in the gym locker room (there was nothing to pick up.) And I remember thinking at 11 in the split-second after she slapped me, "I'd rather fight this chick than my mama." This woman should not be going to jail. I got suspeneded from school for 3 days, but fighting back kept every girl with beef for trying to come at me crazy.

And dang, 26? She musta had a hard life based on the pic of her.

Oliver said...

That is very good information. I can remark that Please check my site because it is a site having truly good stuff to deliver.
5

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro