Wednesday, August 22, 2007

'GIRLFRIENDS' CREATOR MARA BROCK AKIL ON UPCOMING SEASON; WILL JILL RETURN/ WILL JOAN GET DUMPED...AGAIN?


Jawn Murray of AOL BlackVoices spoke to the creator and executive producer of The CW longtime-running sitcom, Girlfriends. My main concern even before reading the article below was if Jill Marie Jones would reprise her role as Toni Childs Garrett. My second thought was whether or not Joan (played by Tracee Ellis Ross) would, once again, get dumped. Read on to see what's in store for the Girlfriends this season on the CW.

Girlfriends is not set to return for its eighth (and presumably final) season until Monday, Oct. 1, but folks are already asking if co-star Jill Marie Jones (who played Toni Childs) will return to the series. The show's executive producer Mara Brock Akil told me during our candid phone interview that if Jones was interested in returning, the show would be willing to have her back. However, she's also confident that Girlfriends will have another impressive season with or without the actress."I know that a lot of the audience really missed Toni in the show. I completely understand it and I think I've mentioned it a few times in different articles that it was a disappointment to me as well. But you have to move on. This is part of the business side of things that sometimes affect the creative," Brock explained. "This is just one of the things that's out of my control. I don't have the control to make an actress come back to work."

Though Brock was tight-lipped about the forthcoming storyline for this fall, she did share that the season will have a theme. "I'm kind of theme-ing this season "Joy and Pain." I think everybody is familiar with that wonderful song by Maze featuring Frankie Beverly. I think that's life. One minute it's pure joy and there are going to be some painful moments, but the beautiful thing is that all of these friends have each other. It's about support and helping each other through things, which has been the journey of the show forever and it continues to be taken up another level," she disclosed.

The 37-year-old Los Angeles-bred executive also shared that actor Richard T. Jones, who played Tracee Ellis Ross' love interest, Aaron, last season, has been cast in another series (Fox's The Sarah Connor Chronicles) and will not be able to return this fall. "We're faced with another challenge because the Richard T. Jones has a new show. What am I going to do with that? We're gonna work with that in a beautiful way. I'm excited about it to go on the journey yet again with Joan," Brock revealed.

Does that mean that Ross' character Joan will be dumped again?

READ MORE.....

1 Comment:

Junior said...

Thanks so much for your post, pretty useful information.
last minute travel deals | kure beach vacation rentals | Juegos de Vestir Princesas

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro